Named after a Greek sea goddess, CETO offers the potential to revolutionise renewable power production globally. CETO harnesses the enormous untapped energy present in our ocean’s waves and converts it into grid-ready electricity. CETO is a unique, fully submerged, point absorber type wave energy technology. A submerged buoy sits a few metres below the surface of the ocean and moves with the ocean’s waves. This orbital motion drives a power take-off (PTO) system that converts this motion into electricity.
CETO Technology Characteristics
The CETO 6 design builds on intellectual property first lodged by Carnegie in 2013, incorporating on-board power generation and multiple moorings and power take-off modules. This associated US patent, granted on 6 November 2017, confirms the additional features as state of the art. These features boost power production and unit efficiency.
- Converts ocean wave energy into zero-emission electricity
- Environmentally friendly, has minimal visual impact and attracts marine life
- Fully-submerged and operates in deep water, away from breaking storm waves and beach-goers
- Tens of thousands of hours of in-ocean operational testing
- No Visual Impact – fully submerged
- Developed & Proven – over 10 years with onshore, wave tank and tens of thousands of hours of in-ocean testing
- Flexible -operates in variety of water depths, swell directions, tides & seafloor conditions
- Storm Survivability – fully submerged & extreme wave mitigation system
- Security – provides emissions free sustainable energy and water security to countries & islands
- Scalable – modular array design
- Clean – minimal environmental impact, co-exists with marine life.
- Desalination – zero-emission freshwater co-production allows pseudo energy storage